People and Roles:
Barbara Russell, PhD (Philosophy), MBA is the bioethicist at CAMH. The Bioethics Service is part of the portfolio of Rani Srivastava, PhD, Deputy Director of the Professional Practice Office. Barbara is also an assistant professor at the University of Toronto’s Institute of Health Policy, Management, and Evaluation.
The Service is dedicated to client well-being and organizational integrity. The Service provides specialized help with clinical and organizational ethics questions and concerns; more specifically:
- providing ethical analysis and advice about an immediate care or administrative opportunity, question, concern or a recurring situation
- teaching ethical knowledge and skills to students, clinical staff, employees, and management
- offering analysis and advice in policy development/review
- encouraging dialogue and reflection about the relationships, practices, and perspectives involved in helping and supporting people who have or are recovering from a mental illness and/or addiction problem
- active participation on several committees, including Medical Advisory Committee, Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee, Education Steering Committee, Best Practie Spotlight Organization (BPSO) Committee, and the Research Ethics Board